Sunday, October 31, 2010

Joie de vivre !



The right knee is gingerly raised to give the necessary support, the left followed suit while the hands play their part in coming to the desired position. Even before they are set to move comes the collapse. Again flat on the floor, the head turns in right and left to see what has happened. After a second of recovery the whole cycle of the knees and hands coordination begins. They are back to the position, a second of no-motion and then all set for the movement. Collapse again!! The whole cycle is repeated. A minute of wavering and balance act, the limbs move again. Two to three steps forward and collapse greets them again. SIGH!! Repeat the whole process and this time the limbs move a little farther and a little further and a little further finally reaching the destination….


Are you already tired and bored to read this?? I am sure most of you are…but what about the one involved in the whole process?


…she finally lays her hands on her fave colorful toy which when pressed sings out lovely rhymes for her. She beats the toy in ecstasy, gives a squeak of victory and is engrossed watching the changing colors while listening to the rhymes. This is what makes the whole process an ‘Experience’.


Not a trace of boredom or tiresomeness is seen all along…what is the key? ‘Enthusiasm’ is my humble answer.


She creeps under the cot maybe to see why it’s dark there, slips under the computer table maybe to know what those black wires taste like, tries to grab every kitchen item and beats it to death on the floor like an acoustic expert studying some sound. Gosh!! Did I just hear a THUD?? To enthusiastically understand what this high-level stage is and what’s under it, Mugdha creeps vigorously to take a quick peek. And the inevitable happens :-(. A few seconds of loud cry is disturbed taking a definite end at the sight of her favourite toy and a tight hug from her mom. She is back to her enthusiastic world wondering who those two people staring at her are. Our reflections in the mirror excite her very much :-)


I go about diverse experiences everyday and I find each day with a baby is a new discovery, a new perspective and a new joy which can only be beaten by another joy brought about only by them. Call it whatever you want, the underlying secret is ‘Enthusiasm’. Babies are ‘Enthusiasm’ personified.


Whenever I am lost thoroughly enjoying her enthusiastic adventures, I wonder why is it that the elders the once children lost this very special quality as they grew. Even the most painful experience is forgotten by them once the enthusiasm of grabbing something takes over. While the kids learn stuff which makes them productive, constructive, positive and happy, we elders in the name of growing up also learnt clinging to unnecessary things for too long, having mood-offs on and off, seeing only the negatives, and wasting time on useless things. With depression, frustration and stress as our everyday visitors, time waste, mismanagement of things a daily routine, gossip and rumours as our food, we are just surviving and not ‘living’ life. While nature gives us every opportunity to learn, we are “grown up” and clever enough to ignore all of them.


I redirect my thoughts to my own life and think of all the lessons I have learnt. Apart from being good at academics, topping more than a few times in various competitions, I dabbled in painting, music, dance, shuttle and a host of things classified under “Hobbies/Interests”. Now when I am completely at home conveniently calling myself a “house-wife”, I ask myself why I have not pursued any of those gifts to become a master. The answer is obvious. My ‘enthusiasm’ to learn or pursue sometimes wavered, sometimes decreased and sometimes died off.


I don’t waste my time getting into the redundant regretting mode coz I know I still have that “one” thing in me which can make a difference – “Zest for life”. This undying zest for life in me is enough even if I have to begin my life all over again from this moment. Having a baby at home has only rejuvenated me and my zest for life just gets better by day :-)



9 comments:

  1. Good one....infact a great one ...once again from U...

    Its really a delight to read your post......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww...reading your experiences and seeing Mugdha's pics makes me wanna have a daughter right away :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good positive read...

    ********** Keep Walking..
    Johnny Walker **************

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful description in the first few paras and a thoughtful writeup thereafter. Very well written. Nice to see that you again started blogging. You should more of this and less of that "facebook".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice . But remember Mother is always a mother. She will be happy to see her kid doing all these things.

    Whether u blog or u do anything. Being a mother is what makes every women great.

    They are god. right now you are a god.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one Haritha! Enjoy every moment of your little one growing up. To me, girls are special. I cherish many such moments, and now conversations, with my 2 nieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice one...as usual a very good write up.....

    its true.. we lose so much time in all nonsense things.. and forget what good life can give us and we only can make difference to our lives...

    Great one.. keep up the good writing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buzzzzz Comments :

    Kiranmai Bavirisetti - Good one :)

    Ratna Surekha - good going mommy.....looks like ammu already learned the 7 swaras of the Carnatic Music... enjoy the motherhood.. every minute spent is worth remembering and cherishing at later date.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great write up and I like how the experience is brought out so elegantly. I am happy you are able to balance evertything so well and enjoy each minute with Ammalu.

    ReplyDelete