Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cooked Up..!!!

Yes...that's exactly how you will feel after those bheja-frying lectures on the art called cooking. And the artists – everybody possible…right from your grandmas to parents to aunties to friends!!! This is yet another saga of my transformation from cooking-illiterate to cooking-literate with “Pun Intended” ofcourse :P

The Late 1990s: Red chilli powder or Red Kumkum powder??
“Who cares??!!” was my instant reply and yes that’s how I was. During the 10th boards by some quirk of fate I had to enter the kitchen and cook, thankfully just a curry. Thought I was doing a great job till my mom gave a horrified look. Instead of using red chilli powder I used red kumkum powder (mind you…I was still in ‘school’ and both were red in color)

That’s “it” ! The funny bone of the whole world (read my world) was tickled to such a humorous (read sick) extent that all they did was to braoadcast to the rest of the unknown world about the great (actually shameless) act of mine. The whole incident was beaten, the fun grinded and the world chewed it sucking the juices out of me.

“She cant even differentiate chilli from kumkum??? Badly pampered!!” Said one.
“How can someone do this and yet be so proud of it? With this kinda attitude she will never be able to sustain in her inlaws place” said another.

I gave all of them a smile, a shameless smile of indifference, silently telling them “That’s not my priority NOW”

Mid 2000s: Jeera…What’s that??

Another unfortunate day when my friend asks me to get some jeera I fail to recognize how it looks much to their dismay. That’s another “it” ! This time the ‘shocking’ bones of the world were jerked. Obviously I was doing my MBA and not knowing Jeera at that age was hopeless according to them. My dear darling friends also join the bandwagon this time and make a song and dance about my culinary skills on every possible occasion. I don’t remember any gathering discussing food and not discussing my 'expert' cooking talent.

“I really pity the one who is going to marry Haritha.” Said one
“Pls teach your daughter atleast some elementary cooking tips before her marriage otherwise she will bring disgrace to you.” Said another very concerned and cribbing soul.

Then again I gave all of them a smile,a smile of exasperation, loudly telling them – “You are right Im grown up. Then why the hell are you still worried?”

Late 2000s – Precisely 2008 and present:

I can cook a full meal (tasty one) to my husband. He eats it to his stomach’s content and thanks (rather loves) me to his heart’s content for the tasty meal. I haven’t attended any crash course in cooking nor have I taken any of those expert tips from the so-called concerned world. All I did was to use my common sense while cooking and my heart while experimenting a new dish

The whole world gets started again but this time turning the tables ! Whoa!!
"Cooking isnt a big deal...it comes naturally especially to a woman" says one.
"I know you are smart enough to cook well even w/o any practice before marriage and you did it." says another (now) encouraging character
All of them now infact say – “When are you cooking for us? Waiting to taste your food”


Now again I give this enthusiastic crowd another smile, a smile of vengeance sarcastically telling them “I cook only for MY people” :P

All the while I kept telling my mom to let me do what my age and situations demand. If I am in 10th let me prepare well for my boards. If I am in my MBA, let me plan for my career. When I marry I will anyways cook. Why should I be doing something now which I can as well learn later?? Apparently there were no takers to my school of thought. To quote my cousin Vasudha(another victim) – “Cooking is to man what suckling is to babies”. How true ! And if it is this natural why raise such a hue and cry??

So gals...dont take the steam of those comments and boil ur blood or fry your mind even more….just put off the guilt cylinder and light ‘your’ stove in ur style….This way you will end up being a good cook without being badly “cooked up” ..!!!!

14 comments:

  1. I guess I am the first to comment! yippiee....... Thats definitely a good one. I liked the kind of attitude you carried in all the 3 stages one in 10th, mba, and now... Yes, you have to do what is exactly needed or should be done at that age! and you did it... good to know that you have become one of those expert cooks... I guess I can get a bit of your expertise to taste! Wish to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I laughed out of my vocal cords when I was reading your new post. Funny bubli [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haritha

    I felt that all that comments by different people made you what you are today.

    That time u had a shame less smile but today Phani do not have smile in his face. Just kidding

    You are really writing great blogs. You can try writing a fiction as well.

    Chetan Bhagat Be aware another "Three mistakes in my life " in making

    Regards
    Harishankar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear,

    Great write-up again. I got hooked up to this "cooked up"!

    For me it initially appeared normal that you cook well - coz we guys always think it is a gal's work! But given your history of cooking innocence, I should admit that your current culinary skill is a definite achievement. I particularly like your zeal to try new things. You look at cooking as an art and not a mere routine job. I am proud and lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @all : thnx so much :)
    @Hari : Im flattered but I dont have it in me to write fictions and all though it sounds like a gr8 idea :P
    @Phani : Wil come home and react to ur views ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am experimenting with my culinary skills...though I have to learn about the salt and sugar measurements a bit, otherwise I can manage to cook a good meal :)

    And as always, well written !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari.. I must admit amazingly humorous take on this topic. What i appreciate here is your soft yet striking way of putting the point across... And a small note to all aunties of the world... " Cooking is not a hallmark for a woman.. if u still think it is this.. then u must be in the graveyard shift"... See hari, I do not have ur artsy demeanour.. God I hit back hard.. On the whole... beauty dear.. this post makes me smile all day long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one Haritha. I am sure Phani must be having a great time eating what you cook. I would like to share something on cooking.

    "How well you want the dish to be cooked is directly proportional to how much interested you are in cooking it."

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoever said vantalu are women's deal is jus tryin to get what he wants by praising the fairer sex. to be honest its a man's job. We men are darn proud to accept it too. Nala bheema pakalu annaru kani, kunti pakam draupadi pakam analeduga....so light

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice write once again i totally agree with you akka ...some ppl usually have no work except for judging especially when it is negative. who cares what those ppl think.

    and yeah i already got a chance to enjoy this lady's cooking and you should really try it (only if ur in her 'my people' list :P .

    ReplyDelete
  11. chepapillaki eetha, adapillaki vanta verega nerpalsina avasaram ledu.
    baga chepparu harita garu .
    kani appudappudu ammaki sahayapadi unte, phani mida prayogalu cheyyalsina avasaram undedi kadu
    :-)

    annaaa, emantav ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Great cook! why dont u come down and show some of ur expertise??

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the credit goes to your mom really, as i had my first experiments at your chillipowder/kumkum state ....it was surprise to my mom ...and i had to cook at mo holidays as she was away ...i wish i couldn't have learnt!!! ..


    -mauli

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful..this is how each girl feels and you have portrayed all the stages in the best possible way. I loved each and every bit of it specially
    Put off the guilt cylinder and light ‘your’ stove in ur style….This way you will end up being a good cook without being badly “cooked up” ..!!!!

    ReplyDelete